I have an essay in The Point magazine -- a Chicago-based magazine on culture and politics -- that I spent many months working on. It is about Americans abroad, the damage we do, the innocence we claim, the stories we tell -- and also, perhaps, the responsibility and solidarity we could take on. It's about Suzy Hansen's journalist memoir "Notes on a Foreign Country," -- and about Henry James, James Baldwin, and Omar El Akkad among others. And it has more auto-biography than I usually include in any of my writing.
I generally agreed with Hansen's critique of American imperialism, and I found the book thought-provoking. But I also found her framing and her tone off-putting, because of how self-centered it is and above all of how utterly humorless. Here is an excerpt:1 43 Minichamps PORSCHE 911 997 GT3 RSR IMSA MATMUT NARAC LONG PILET LM 2009JAGUAR E-TYPE COUPE SERIES I 3.8 in Green in 1 18 Scale by AUTOart 73612
Hansen argues that her lack of awareness about America’s role in the world was structural, intentional—an ignorance that many Americans, particularly white Americans, wear like mental armor, allowing them to believe, against all evidence, that our political and military interventions abroad are always necessary, successful and well-intentioned. “I would never have admitted it, or thought to say it,”Vintage Lincoln International Remote Control Austin Mini With Part Of BoxNissan Gt-R R 35 143 Scale Car Hansen explains, “but looking back, I know that deep in my consciousness I thought that America was at the end of some evolutionary spectrum of civilization, and everyone else was trying to catch up.” Hence, she assumed that in Istanbul, she would assess how well Turkey was meeting certain U.S. standards (“democratization,” “modernization”); she would also think about “solutions” to Islam, because “that’s what Americans always do.”
Hansen occasionally mentions The Fire Next Time (1963), in which Baldwin describes the willful, Price Products Cast Iron Toy Train Passenger CarsAu983-1 x Wiking H0 Bus Mercedes-Benz MB+ Büssing 721+ Man etc.violent blindness of white Americans, and their determination not to face “reality—the fact that life is tragic.” Baldwin himself left America for France and Turkey because he found life there false and unbearable, a physical and psychological assault. At least African Americans, he wrote, possess “the great advantage of having never believed the collection of myths to which white Americans cling: that their ancestors were all freedom-loving heroes, that they were born in the greatest country the world has ever seen, or that Americans are invincible in battle and wise in peace.” Hansen read this passage long before moving to Turkey,Matchbox b - Mercedes Unimog - bluee Red - A BSCHUCO BMW X6 xDRIVE 5.0i - RED METALLIC 1 43 - EXCELLENT IN DEALER BOX but one of her points is how often we can know something but not really accept it. She writes: “Even when I disagreed with America’s policies, I always believed in our inherent goodness, in my own.”
From Istanbul, Hansen traveled to report from Greece, Egypt and Afghanistan, only to discover from wry, patient locals that the crisis each country is currently undergoing can be explained by a history in which U.S. intervention figures prominently. In Afghanistan, 1956 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Competizione in 1 18 Scale by CMRNAP0507 Austrian Artillery Gunner with Cartridge by First Legionshe attends a Fourth of July party at the American embassy. There is a billboard outside the embassy that reads: “the u.s. embassy would be grateful if any of our friends who have information on terrorist activity or threats to please come to this gate.” There is a five-by-seven-foot American flag made out of cupcakes. The red, white and blue balloons keep popping from the heat, setting the crowd of Afghans and Americans, fearful of snipers, on edge. General David Petraeus and the U.S. 1 18 GT Spirit BMW M2 AC Schnitzer ACL2 in Green Limited to 2000 GT1461 18 OTTO Mercedes G-Klasse G500 Congreenible white NEW bei PREMIUM-MODELCARSambassador dodge difficult questions from Afghan guests and deliver platitudes.
This is all very well observed. A different sort of writer would have made something barbed and darkly funny of this scene. Hansen seems headed in that direction, but instead she stops, on cue, to wring her hands: “Those bland, company-man words. In Kabul these words sounded criminal. These were loveless, soulless words. How could we speak to Afghans like this? … No one believed in the words they were saying, 3 Matchbox Vintage Models of Yesteryear,Crossley,Lagonda,Rolls Royce, in boxFERRARI F10 F. ALONSO GP BAHRAIN 2010 Hotwheels Elite red 1 43and yet this language was about real things: flesh and death and war, people’s homelands, and their children.”
It strikes me as a luxury and nearly an affront to be as sentimental and naïve as this. It’s not that we shouldn’t sympathize with Afghans and others—it’s that such an expression of sympathy, in which one’s own guilt and shock takes center stage, isn’t worth much. Meanwhile, many of the people I’ve met out in the world who are really up against it—who by circumstance or choice live terribly exposed—wear the risks they run matter-of-factly,1936 FORD DELUXE CABRIOLET RED CONgreenIBLE LE FRANKLIN MINT 1 24 DIECAST & DISPOriginal Model,1 18 Volkswagen VW,AUDI A6L,ALL NEW AUDI A6L 2012,WHITE the bearers of what Baldwin calls an “ironic tenacity.” They are knowing, daring, uncomplaining. I guarantee you they waste no time being shocked by the platitudes of U.S. ambassadors.
Hansen notes that when Albert Camus visited New York in 1946, he wrote in his journal that America was a “country where everything is done to prove that life isn’t tragic.” Camus held that “one must reject the tragic after having looked at it, not before.”Mercedes Vorherige Design Pd65cc Auto Miniatur 1 18 Sammlung Gtspirit 235CORGI CC13903 FODEN APLPA CURTAINSIDE LORRY - STAN ROBINSON Ltd 1 50 - NMIB Hansen does the looking but not the rejecting. She remains transfixed by the tragic and her own response to it, casting pretty standard culture shock as emotional catastrophe. Her Turkish lessons are “soul-shattering.” In Cairo, she is “lonely and clumsy, wreaking havoc on things I knew nothing about.” In Afghanistan, “it was my mere existence, I felt, that did damage enough. I wanted nothing else but to withdraw myself.”
When I read this, a phrase of another writer immediately came to mind. “I hate tragedy,” wrote Waguih Ghali, a penniless alcoholic and suicidal Egyptian who, in self-imposed exile after Gamal Abdel Nasser came to power in 1956, wrote one of my favorite novels.Hot wheels Shifters color Splash Science Lab Playset 43 TYRRELL FORD 007 MICHEL LECLERE 1975 P400750115 Beer in the Snooker Club contains passages that still make me laugh out loud. Egypt, the Arab country I lived in for many years, has one of the best and darkest strains of humor I’ve ever encountered. It does not come natural to me but I have often witnessed its gift, the way it can lift the pall of fear and death. It’s the laughter of survivors, balanced right on the edge of hope and hopelessness.
And check out the rest of The Point, there are many great pieces of writing there.
- MASERATI GRAN TURISMO MC GT4 N°28 2010 MINICHAMPS
- Norev 1 43 - Peugeot 508 whitehe
- New Arrived 135cm Giant Octopus Suffed & Plush Toy Soft Animal Doll Fancytrader
- (Calendar Wall) - Richardy 148PPcs Set Calendar Wall Date Month Week Festival
- Little Live Pets Green Bird Friendly Frankie with Birdcage New Rare Free Ship
- ACME 1 18 1968 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350H Diecast Model Car Dark Green A1801825
- 5 FORGEWORLD DEATH GUARD GRAVE WARDENS VERY WELL PAINTED (1321)
- Walthers Cornerstone 933-3022 - ADM Grain Elevator Kit - HO Scale
- MÄRKLIN 3024 E-LOK E 18 green SL27
- An546-1 x Märklin Marklin H0 00 AC Piezas de vía ( M Pista,Recto) F.
- BMW 320i SUPERTOURING E36 WINNER 24h SPA 1996 1 18 UT MODELS
- Piko 57140 Startset Western-Zug H0
- FERRARI 458 CHALLENGE KESSEL RACING 2011 HOT WHEELS ELITE 1 43 DIECAST CAR X5506
- DTE LESNEY MATCHBOX SUPERFAST 3-B RARE 16 HOOD LABEL MONTEVERDI HAI NIOB
- SFM Smyk B30 bluee White 1958 (Autocult 1 43 AC03002)
- Tameo 1 43 Scale built kit - 15AUG13 Williams FW15C Hungarian GP 1993 D Hill
- Porsche 968 Club Sport Speed Weiss 1991-1995 Nr ZM092 1 18 GT Spirit Modell Au..
- HiFi Kit à Monter 1 43 - Ferrari 328 GTB
- Corvette Z06 , FIA GT1 2011 , Spark
- Greenlight Ford Mustang Eleanor 1967 Gone in 60 Seconds 1 18
- Matchbox Superfast 1981 Trade Catalogue UK VERSION RARE
- 1 24 Jada DUB Bigtime Muscle 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 (Yellow) Metal-Boxed New
- Goliath SUPER SAND CUPCAKES - VARIOUS
- ERTL 1 18 AMERICAN MUSCLE 1970 BOSS MUSTANG WITH SHAKER HOOD GRABBER blue CE CAR
- Stadt der Insekten (Ant und Compagnie) - Ses
- 1000 pcs 2.6mm Clear 6.3V 60mA Miniature Bulbs Grain of Wheat Bulbs
- Jigsaw Puzzle - 24 Pieces - Squirrel Shaped Box - Squirrels in the Forest. Djeco
- Battle School Battle Dice 16mm CCA SPQR BattleBones - Carthage (7) MINT
- Atlas 20003697 HO Santa Fe 89' Flat Car
- Märklin H0 3326 E-Lok Serie 7200 BR 1631 der NS B2167
- TEFERI, HERO OF DOMINARIA Dominaria DOM Planeswalker Magic MTG MINT CARD
- Herpa 303873 Scania R HL Sattelzug mit Gittermastteilen für LR1600 Felbermayr
- Spark SB 1 43 - ALFA ROMEO 156 GIOVANARDI ETCC 2004
- Winross RYDER PIE Nationwide Red White & bluee Tractor Trailer Doubles MIB 1 64
- Schuco Mercedes-Benz Pollmann 600 Bestattungswagen black 1 18 limitiert 1 1000
- 1 43 scale Trax Top Gear Valiant S Series Sedan Leaf Green TR36
- Märklin H0 7028 Roundhouse Good Mechanical Function Anhaftungsfrei
- CAMION IVECO Euredech Performer Silos MB Mangimi -1 43 Old Cars Gila Modelli
- SPECIAL Series Simca 1000 dinky Junior - ref 104 au 1 43 dinky toys atlas
- King and Country A Trio Of Aces RAF075
- BMW M1 Groupe B Tour de Corse 1983 Tour 1 18 OT126
- MINICHAMPS® 400 081000 1 43 Ford Escort I 1300L 1971 yellow NEU OVP
- Norev - Mercedes CLS Klasse Shooting Brake 1 18
- Microscope For Kids Activity Journal Educational Science Fun Learn Experiment
- MAN F 90 MIXER GREY YELLOW CONRAD NO. 4164
I just received a copy of 1934 HISPANO-SUIZA J-12 DANBURY MINT MIB.1 24 SCALE, Yoav Di-Capua's new book on Sartre and Arab intellectuals (it is essentially an intellectual history of the post-colonial Arab world) and its cover is very, very cool. I very much enjoyed Di-Capua's last book, Minichamps Opel Rekord D 1975 (red) 1 43 400044004 1 43 1 43, a great historiography and was happy to meet him in Austin (where he teaches at the University of Texas) on the sidelines of South By Southwest a few years ago. It'll be some more rigorous reading than I'm doing now (I've been devouring Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem sci-fi series, see great reviews here and Civil War Federal Army Soldiers Original 1971 Britains Deetail Made in England) but looking forward to it.
Also recently received are two books on Morocco (and Jordan) – it's relatively rare that you get serious and in-depth English-language scholarship on Morocco, so good to see that – and a collected volume edited by Alfred Stepan including many A-listers and friends (Rached Ghannouchi, New Brago 1 43 scale Ferrari 458 Challenge BR-18-36001CHA Red Model car JapanTRAX TR10H Ford XC Falcon - Allan Moffat Racing, Bathurst 1979Carrie Wickham, Nathan Brown, Monica Marks, Radwan Masmoudi, etc.) that looks at the Egypt vs. Tunisia question post-Arab Spring. With chapter titles like "The roots of Egypt's constitutional catastrophe", it's pure Arabist geek-bait.