New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). See the seller's ... Read moreabout the condition
|Period:||Thirty Years War||Recommended Age Range:||14 and up|
|UPC:||Does not apply|
I have an essay in The Point magazine -- a Chicago-based magazine on culture and politics -- that I spent many months working on. It is about Americans abroad, the damage we do, the innocence we claim, the stories we tell -- and also, perhaps, the responsibility and solidarity we could take on. It's about Suzy Hansen's journalist memoir "Notes on a Foreign Country," -- and about Henry James, James Baldwin, and Omar El Akkad among others. And it has more auto-biography than I usually include in any of my writing.
I generally agreed with Hansen's critique of American imperialism, and I found the book thought-provoking. But I also found her framing and her tone off-putting, because of how self-centered it is and above all of how utterly humorless. Here is an excerpt:Revell 1 35 - Mercedes Klassen G Militär ein WolfMOTORMAX 1969 PONTIAC GTO JUDGE RESTORATION ALLEY 1 18 BARN FIND UNRESTORED
Hansen argues that her lack of awareness about America’s role in the world was structural, intentional—an ignorance that many Americans, particularly white Americans, wear like mental armor, allowing them to believe, against all evidence, that our political and military interventions abroad are always necessary, successful and well-intentioned. “I would never have admitted it, or thought to say it,”SPARK - ASTON MARTIN DB3 S LE MANS 1955 43 SCALE S24211 18 SAIC Volkswagen 2016 Touran L Habablack orange Metallic Dealer Edition Hansen explains, “but looking back, I know that deep in my consciousness I thought that America was at the end of some evolutionary spectrum of civilization, and everyone else was trying to catch up.” Hence, she assumed that in Istanbul, she would assess how well Turkey was meeting certain U.S. standards (“democratization,” “modernization”); she would also think about “solutions” to Islam, because “that’s what Americans always do.”
Hansen occasionally mentions The Fire Next Time (1963), in which Baldwin describes the willful, 1 43 Minichamps B6961005 Mercedes Benz SLR Mclaren Roadster1 18 Street Racing girl figurine VERY RARE NO CARS for diecast collectorsviolent blindness of white Americans, and their determination not to face “reality—the fact that life is tragic.” Baldwin himself left America for France and Turkey because he found life there false and unbearable, a physical and psychological assault. At least African Americans, he wrote, possess “the great advantage of having never believed the collection of myths to which white Americans cling: that their ancestors were all freedom-loving heroes, that they were born in the greatest country the world has ever seen, or that Americans are invincible in battle and wise in peace.” Hansen read this passage long before moving to Turkey,1960's TEXACO OIL TANKER 'North Dakota' Ship w Box & Manual, 27 EXCELLENT WORKSAUTOART 88726 LOTUS 99T HONDA F1 JAPANESE GP 1987 S.NAKAJIMA 18TH SCALE but one of her points is how often we can know something but not really accept it. She writes: “Even when I disagreed with America’s policies, I always believed in our inherent goodness, in my own.”
From Istanbul, Hansen traveled to report from Greece, Egypt and Afghanistan, only to discover from wry, patient locals that the crisis each country is currently undergoing can be explained by a history in which U.S. intervention figures prominently. In Afghanistan, 989H Vintage Dinky 24X Ford Star 54 bluee 1 431 18 GMP Gentilozzi Homelink Ford Mustang Trans Am Winner Limited 1000St RAR she attends a Fourth of July party at the American embassy. There is a billboard outside the embassy that reads: “the u.s. embassy would be grateful if any of our friends who have information on terrorist activity or threats to please come to this gate.” There is a five-by-seven-foot American flag made out of cupcakes. The red, white and blue balloons keep popping from the heat, setting the crowd of Afghans and Americans, fearful of snipers, on edge. General David Petraeus and the U.S. Oxford Diecast 1 43 Scale WM006 - Mercedes Whitby Mondial Ice Cream Van - SmithsAUTOart 1 18 Gumpelt Apollo S (Metallic E orange) 71302ambassador dodge difficult questions from Afghan guests and deliver platitudes.
This is all very well observed. A different sort of writer would have made something barbed and darkly funny of this scene. Hansen seems headed in that direction, but instead she stops, on cue, to wring her hands: “Those bland, company-man words. In Kabul these words sounded criminal. These were loveless, soulless words. How could we speak to Afghans like this? … No one believed in the words they were saying, Corgi 318 Lotus Elan S 2 In Excellent ConditionMaisto 1 18 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS Diecast Model Sports Racing Car Vehicle Redand yet this language was about real things: flesh and death and war, people’s homelands, and their children.”
It strikes me as a luxury and nearly an affront to be as sentimental and naïve as this. It’s not that we shouldn’t sympathize with Afghans and others—it’s that such an expression of sympathy, in which one’s own guilt and shock takes center stage, isn’t worth much. Meanwhile, many of the people I’ve met out in the world who are really up against it—who by circumstance or choice live terribly exposed—wear the risks they run matter-of-factly,HTF 1972 CHEVY CHEYENNE 1 24 DIECAST DUB CITY OLDSKOOL JADA NIB RED & WHITENIP 1 64 DIECAST JOHNNY LIGHTNING STREET FREAKS 71 MERCURY CYCLONE PROJECT RARE the bearers of what Baldwin calls an “ironic tenacity.” They are knowing, daring, uncomplaining. I guarantee you they waste no time being shocked by the platitudes of U.S. ambassadors.
Hansen notes that when Albert Camus visited New York in 1946, he wrote in his journal that America was a “country where everything is done to prove that life isn’t tragic.” Camus held that “one must reject the tragic after having looked at it, not before.”Lamborghini Huracan Lp610-4 2014 Green Met Welly 1 18 WE18049GR ModelJägerndorfer JC 82465 H0 Sessellift anthrazit black 1 87 NEU in OVP Hansen does the looking but not the rejecting. She remains transfixed by the tragic and her own response to it, casting pretty standard culture shock as emotional catastrophe. Her Turkish lessons are “soul-shattering.” In Cairo, she is “lonely and clumsy, wreaking havoc on things I knew nothing about.” In Afghanistan, “it was my mere existence, I felt, that did damage enough. I wanted nothing else but to withdraw myself.”
When I read this, a phrase of another writer immediately came to mind. “I hate tragedy,” wrote Waguih Ghali, a penniless alcoholic and suicidal Egyptian who, in self-imposed exile after Gamal Abdel Nasser came to power in 1956, wrote one of my favorite novels.AUTOart 1 43 BMW 3 Series Coupe 2005 Sparking graphic metallic (B3-210)Dinky Toys b 1930's Bentley Coupe, Metal Wheels, Early Frame, Restored Beer in the Snooker Club contains passages that still make me laugh out loud. Egypt, the Arab country I lived in for many years, has one of the best and darkest strains of humor I’ve ever encountered. It does not come natural to me but I have often witnessed its gift, the way it can lift the pall of fear and death. It’s the laughter of survivors, balanced right on the edge of hope and hopelessness.
And check out the rest of The Point, there are many great pieces of writing there.
- Porsche Hybrid 919 Winner 24 H Lemans 2017 Bernhard, Hartley, Bamber 1 18
- Art Model Ferrari Dino SP 1962 1 43 Bandini Baghetti Nürburgring (JO)
- Ignition Model 1 43 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R PGC10 Red RS Watanabe wheel IG1597
- Elenco Breadboard with 830 Tie Points - 9425
- SPARK MODELL S5110 LIGIER JS P2 N.25 LM 2016 M. MUNEMANN-C. HOY-A. PARI 1 43
- SMTS Models 1 43 KIT RL119 BRM P48 F.1 British GP 1960 G.Hill NEW
- BACHMANN 00 GAUGE - 31-361A - CLASS 03 DIESEL SHUNTER D2009 BR GREEN LATE BOXED
- S (or O) gauge - Test Station Display Stand 3 T.S. - Pine w Cherry Stain
- Walthers Cornerstone 933-3772 - Liberty Bank & Trust Kit - HO Scale
- HAG Seecontainer 40FT Sgss AC 72 106 DHL Cargo ART.NR. 378098-50
- Roco 74381 FS carrozza passeggeri mista di 1a e 2a cl.
- QUARTZO BOB WELBORN 1 43 1959 305hp CHEVROLET IMPALA NEAR MINT BOXED
- Huge Lot Collection of New Hot Wheels on Cards 90+ Rare T-Hunts Variants LE
- AU20-2Märklin Mhi H0 Ac 48812 Transport of Goods Spangenberg Dr Nem Kk Ovp
- 1 43 BBR Ferrari 512 Testepink 1992 red SM30A
- Minichamps McLaren Mercedes MP4-27 2012 1 18 Jenson Button (GBR)
- Hot Wheels Ferrari F355 F-355 Berlinetta 1 18 Diecast Model Car BLY57 Red
- MEBETOYS A-10 MASERATI MISTRAL COUPE Green (Anno 1967) SCALA 1 43 MC42281
- Minichamps No 115057 1.18 scale Porsche 911 GT2 RS 2011 1 of 504 New
- RAI'S 1 43 Nissan X-TRAIL (T32) 2017 Shiga Prefecture Police Department
- Eligor LBS 1 43 - Renault Premium Double Cabin SDIS Firefighters Ariège
- DV4805 MINICHAMPS MERCEDES BENZ 190E EVO 1 STREET Ref 3000G 1 43 NB
- Gama 1 43 - VW Passat Variante Break red
- NZG 1 50 No.258 Zeppelin Kompaktbagger Z 206 M in O-Box
- Arshiner Educational Kit WII-688, 3 Electronic Projects W Multiple Controls 8+
- SPARK S3026 Sauber C30 n°17 Canadian GP 2011 Dedicaced Pedro de la pink 1.43
- ACME 60442 E636 429 XMPR FS Trenitalia 1a versión luces red, 3o faro alto
- MÄRKLIN MARKLIN H0 344 BK carrozza bagagli con luci ottima rarità 800 1940 +
- 4pcs AUSTAR 5020-5 120mm 1.9in Rim Rubber Tyre Wheel Set for Axial SCX10 J7G7
- Survival of the Fittest x4 - World Championships Edition - 4x - gold Border - NM
- 1 43 NEO Model AUDI 80 B4 Dark Green 1992
- 1 18 Minichamps Ford Capri Turbo GR.5 Klaus Niedzwiedz DRM 1982 100828503
- ALFA ROMEO GIULIA blueE EUROPE 1970 Minichamps 400120905
- Be736-0, 5 Märklin 1 Gauge TRANSMISSION FOR Crocodile 5556 5756 5758 Be 6 8 SBB
- 3 x Bachmann OO Scale British Rail 4 Wheel 10T Insulated Vans (Weathered)
- PredO 2000 HO SCALE GP7 Ph l l PRR w DYNAMIC BRAKES & DROP STEPS
I just received a copy of EBBRO EB45277 NISSAN GT-R N.1 Rd.4 FUJI 2015 S.GT500 MATSUDA-R. QUINTARELLI 1 43, Yoav Di-Capua's new book on Sartre and Arab intellectuals (it is essentially an intellectual history of the post-colonial Arab world) and its cover is very, very cool. I very much enjoyed Di-Capua's last book, Minichamps 430941006 Benetton Ford B 193 B Lehto 1994 1 43 MIB, a great historiography and was happy to meet him in Austin (where he teaches at the University of Texas) on the sidelines of South By Southwest a few years ago. It'll be some more rigorous reading than I'm doing now (I've been devouring Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem sci-fi series, see great reviews here and Minichamps 1 43 Scale Model Car 01219 - Audi Infineon 2 Piece Set - Le Mans 2001) but looking forward to it.
Also recently received are two books on Morocco (and Jordan) – it's relatively rare that you get serious and in-depth English-language scholarship on Morocco, so good to see that – and a collected volume edited by Alfred Stepan including many A-listers and friends (Rached Ghannouchi, Volkswagen VW Bus T3 1993 Red 1 18 Model KK SCALEBB CW 311, metallic-weiss, 1 18, BoS-ModelsCarrie Wickham, Nathan Brown, Monica Marks, Radwan Masmoudi, etc.) that looks at the Egypt vs. Tunisia question post-Arab Spring. With chapter titles like "The roots of Egypt's constitutional catastrophe", it's pure Arabist geek-bait.