I have an essay in The Point magazine -- a Chicago-based magazine on culture and politics -- that I spent many months working on. It is about Americans abroad, the damage we do, the innocence we claim, the stories we tell -- and also, perhaps, the responsibility and solidarity we could take on. It's about Suzy Hansen's journalist memoir "Notes on a Foreign Country," -- and about Henry James, James Baldwin, and Omar El Akkad among others. And it has more auto-biography than I usually include in any of my writing.
I generally agreed with Hansen's critique of American imperialism, and I found the book thought-provoking. But I also found her framing and her tone off-putting, because of how self-centered it is and above all of how utterly humorless. Here is an excerpt:JOHN JENKINS DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK SMG-05B TWO MORGAN'S RIFLES SKIRMISHING MIBSolido 1 43 Scale Diecast Model Car 43405 - Toyota MR2 - Red
Hansen argues that her lack of awareness about America’s role in the world was structural, intentional—an ignorance that many Americans, particularly white Americans, wear like mental armor, allowing them to believe, against all evidence, that our political and military interventions abroad are always necessary, successful and well-intentioned. “I would never have admitted it, or thought to say it,”Minicar 1 18 Lamborghini Urakan1 43 MINICHAMPS 1995 PORSCHE 911 993 TURBO YELLOW diecast model car Hansen explains, “but looking back, I know that deep in my consciousness I thought that America was at the end of some evolutionary spectrum of civilization, and everyone else was trying to catch up.” Hence, she assumed that in Istanbul, she would assess how well Turkey was meeting certain U.S. standards (“democratization,” “modernization”); she would also think about “solutions” to Islam, because “that’s what Americans always do.”
Hansen occasionally mentions The Fire Next Time (1963), in which Baldwin describes the willful, Matchbox Transitional Superfast No 67 Volkswagen 1600 TL Bright Pink Nar Holl WhNCIS 1970 Dodge Challenger R T Yellow 1 18 HTF 1 Of 300violent blindness of white Americans, and their determination not to face “reality—the fact that life is tragic.” Baldwin himself left America for France and Turkey because he found life there false and unbearable, a physical and psychological assault. At least African Americans, he wrote, possess “the great advantage of having never believed the collection of myths to which white Americans cling: that their ancestors were all freedom-loving heroes, that they were born in the greatest country the world has ever seen, or that Americans are invincible in battle and wise in peace.” Hansen read this passage long before moving to Turkey,1 20 Tamiya Collector's Club Benetton Ford B193B NORDICA F1 Minicar Fr Japan 10QDCP J.J. Keller Peterbilt 379 w East Dump Trailer 1 64 but one of her points is how often we can know something but not really accept it. She writes: “Even when I disagreed with America’s policies, I always believed in our inherent goodness, in my own.”
From Istanbul, Hansen traveled to report from Greece, Egypt and Afghanistan, only to discover from wry, patient locals that the crisis each country is currently undergoing can be explained by a history in which U.S. intervention figures prominently. In Afghanistan, Toyota 86 `Limited` RHD Asian Version (2012) Diecast Model Car 78773BMW M4 Coupé Austin yellow 1 18 Scala Paragon 97103she attends a Fourth of July party at the American embassy. There is a billboard outside the embassy that reads: “the u.s. embassy would be grateful if any of our friends who have information on terrorist activity or threats to please come to this gate.” There is a five-by-seven-foot American flag made out of cupcakes. The red, white and blue balloons keep popping from the heat, setting the crowd of Afghans and Americans, fearful of snipers, on edge. General David Petraeus and the U.S. Tractor al 67 Albatros Maqueta de barco 1 1250 shpi40 åLesney Matchbox Toyota Celica Red Japanese J-21 Picture Box Rareambassador dodge difficult questions from Afghan guests and deliver platitudes.
This is all very well observed. A different sort of writer would have made something barbed and darkly funny of this scene. Hansen seems headed in that direction, but instead she stops, on cue, to wring her hands: “Those bland, company-man words. In Kabul these words sounded criminal. These were loveless, soulless words. How could we speak to Afghans like this? … No one believed in the words they were saying, HOT WHEELS - 1998 COLLECTORS CLUB KIT COMPLETE W CARD AND PLATE HOLDER Siku Super 2522 Unimog U 1500 mit Linde-Gabelstapler H30D, ca. 1 55and yet this language was about real things: flesh and death and war, people’s homelands, and their children.”
It strikes me as a luxury and nearly an affront to be as sentimental and naïve as this. It’s not that we shouldn’t sympathize with Afghans and others—it’s that such an expression of sympathy, in which one’s own guilt and shock takes center stage, isn’t worth much. Meanwhile, many of the people I’ve met out in the world who are really up against it—who by circumstance or choice live terribly exposed—wear the risks they run matter-of-factly,Chevrolet Astro Van Gun Metal HTF DUB City Edition 24” BIG BALLER 1 18 JadaRusia Mebetoys Plástico 1 43 - Maserati Mistral the bearers of what Baldwin calls an “ironic tenacity.” They are knowing, daring, uncomplaining. I guarantee you they waste no time being shocked by the platitudes of U.S. ambassadors.
Hansen notes that when Albert Camus visited New York in 1946, he wrote in his journal that America was a “country where everything is done to prove that life isn’t tragic.” Camus held that “one must reject the tragic after having looked at it, not before.”BN52-0,5x Wiking H0 1 87 LKW Büssing Ketchup+Fernverkehr+Post etc, sehr gutFrench Dinky No 1433 Surtees TS5 Racing Car - Red (Original 1970's) Hansen does the looking but not the rejecting. She remains transfixed by the tragic and her own response to it, casting pretty standard culture shock as emotional catastrophe. Her Turkish lessons are “soul-shattering.” In Cairo, she is “lonely and clumsy, wreaking havoc on things I knew nothing about.” In Afghanistan, “it was my mere existence, I felt, that did damage enough. I wanted nothing else but to withdraw myself.”
When I read this, a phrase of another writer immediately came to mind. “I hate tragedy,” wrote Waguih Ghali, a penniless alcoholic and suicidal Egyptian who, in self-imposed exile after Gamal Abdel Nasser came to power in 1956, wrote one of my favorite novels.Matchbox moko lesney Lincoln Continental 1960s original boxed MINT free shipBurago 1 24 Scale Metal Kit 18-25119 - McLaren 12C Beer in the Snooker Club contains passages that still make me laugh out loud. Egypt, the Arab country I lived in for many years, has one of the best and darkest strains of humor I’ve ever encountered. It does not come natural to me but I have often witnessed its gift, the way it can lift the pall of fear and death. It’s the laughter of survivors, balanced right on the edge of hope and hopelessness.
And check out the rest of The Point, there are many great pieces of writing there.
- Matchbox Catalogo Tedesco Edizione 1986 Im Formato Din A5
- Danbury Mint 1955 OLSMOBILE super eighty eight RED WHITE 1 24 loose DISPLAY
- Alpine A110 1600s Rally Mounted Carlo 1971 1 16 Bburago with Box
- ROM099 Imperial Roman Praetorian Guard with Gladius by First Legion
- Herpa 930178 H0 MAN TGX XLX Euro 6 Eurocombi Logistik in XXL OVP NEU
- GT Autos 1 43 - Pagani Zonda Huayra whitehe
- AK195 HACHETTE 1 43 AUTOBUS AUTOCARS MONDE BERLIET PH100 REF G1233104 BON ETAT
- Porsche 911 Turbo S 3,3 964 Ligero de Peso 1992 Speedyellow yellow 1 43
- Fleischmann 1104 H0 Dampflok BR 03.0-2 DRG mit ESU-Dekoder
- Maisto Mercedes CLK-GTR Street Version Diecast Car 1 18 Scale Model New Box
- Minichamps 1 43 400061000 Porsche Cayenne S (2002), blue metallico
- TYRRELL P34 6 WHEELER R. PETERSON BELGIAN GP 1977 TRUESCALE TSM114352 1 43
- 2 mv V Load Cell to 4 to 20 mA Transmitter
- AMSCOPE 350X 700x60mm Telescope for Kids Beginners Refractor w Tripod with Astr
- RIO RI4487 ALFA RICOTTI 40 60 OPEN 1915 DARK RED 1 43 MODELLINO DIE CAST MODEL
- BB156-1x Märklin H0 AC Carro merci Gösser ÖBB+Pilsner CSD+Ovomaltina SBB
- Piko 59025 SmartControl light Set mit Bettungsgleis NS Hondekop
- Piko 58344 Güterwagenset Zweiseitenkipper Fakks127 gealtert H0
- Bb166-2 x MÄRKLIN H0 AC Hobbyist Transportation Wagons Caboose+Bordeaux+
- WOW EXTREMELY RARE Chevrolet Belair 2D Hard Top Aircraft bluee Cream 1 18 SunStar
- Toyota Verso 2009 Minichamps 1 43 400166970
- Lone Star Military Army 1 43 - Bren Gun Carrier
- Princess Horse Carriage Removable Floor Board Horse Clopping Sound NEW
- LS Models 30314 Set 2 SNCF Containertragwg KC Novatrans bluegr 40' ROUCH Ep5 NEU
- WSI 1 50 - 01-1133 HOEKSTRA OOSTERWOLDE SCANIA R(5) TOPLINE 4X2 KOELOPLEGGER
- New Matchbox TV Movie Star Car Lot Knight Rider Smokey Bandit Happy Days Mash
- Minichamps Peugeot 908 HDI FAP Gene Minassian Villeneuve 24th Le Mans 2007
- Brabus 600 For GT S red Mercedes 2016 - 1 43 Minichamps 437032521
- 1 18 Maisto Audi Supersportwagen 'pinkmeyer'
- Dinky Toys no. 133 Cunningham C-5R Road Racer Racing Car
- BMW e12 M535i 1980 white modelcar 183265 Norev 1 18
- Highway 61 1 18 Gone In Sesenta Segundos Shannon 1971 Plymouth Hemi Barracuda
- TIN WIZARD DANHAUSEN OPEL OLYMPIA LIMOUSINE GREY 1952 HANDBUILT SCALE 1 43
- BEST BT9333 LOLA T 70 SPYDER N.27 FUJI68 1 43 MODEL DIE CAST MODEL
- The Sense of Wonder by Robert Neale - Book. Larry Hass. Free Delivery
- Faller 161470 Car System Umbau-Chassis Zweiachser-LKW ++ NEU in OVP
- Märklin 78184 Thème-Conditionnement des compléments Chantier de construction
- MATCHBOX REG.WHEEL NO.54A SARACEN PERSONNEL CARRIER BPW C A STANNARD 2
- BRUMM BM0475-04 FIAT 500 R 1972-75 CLOSE YELLOW TUFF 1 43 MODEL DIE CAST
- AMR Le Phoenix 1 43 - Ferrari 250 GTO Le Mans 1963 N°25
- Ferrari 275 Gtb 4 Nart Spider 1967 Dark bluee KK SCALE 1 18 KKDC180236 Model
- Green Ronin d20 RPG Escape From Ceranir SC NM
- Maggotkin Of Nurgle - The Garden of Nurgle - Warhammer Age Of Sigmar
- Faller 161597 car system H0 lkw scania r 13 hl pritsche
- Integy C22933GREEN Suspension Linkages Hardwares Axial AX10 Scorpion
I just received a copy of ALYMER Toy Soldiers 241 Grupo AmerIcano Sur Confederate Cavalry Cgoldnel 1861, Yoav Di-Capua's new book on Sartre and Arab intellectuals (it is essentially an intellectual history of the post-colonial Arab world) and its cover is very, very cool. I very much enjoyed Di-Capua's last book, FERRARI CALIFORNIA SPIDER VERSION 2008 TITANIUM GREY BBR BBR213C 1 43 MADE ITALY, a great historiography and was happy to meet him in Austin (where he teaches at the University of Texas) on the sidelines of South By Southwest a few years ago. It'll be some more rigorous reading than I'm doing now (I've been devouring Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem sci-fi series, see great reviews here and MERCEDES CLASSE C DTM 2008 M.ANGELO TEAM AMG 1 43 Minichamps) but looking forward to it.
Also recently received are two books on Morocco (and Jordan) – it's relatively rare that you get serious and in-depth English-language scholarship on Morocco, so good to see that – and a collected volume edited by Alfred Stepan including many A-listers and friends (Rached Ghannouchi, 1 18 AB Models McLaren 650 S Liberty walk LB Performance Yellow green StripeGLA-07 - Anzacs Charging - First World War - John JenkinsCarrie Wickham, Nathan Brown, Monica Marks, Radwan Masmoudi, etc.) that looks at the Egypt vs. Tunisia question post-Arab Spring. With chapter titles like "The roots of Egypt's constitutional catastrophe", it's pure Arabist geek-bait.