I have an essay in The Point magazine -- a Chicago-based magazine on culture and politics -- that I spent many months working on. It is about Americans abroad, the damage we do, the innocence we claim, the stories we tell -- and also, perhaps, the responsibility and solidarity we could take on. It's about Suzy Hansen's journalist memoir "Notes on a Foreign Country," -- and about Henry James, James Baldwin, and Omar El Akkad among others. And it has more auto-biography than I usually include in any of my writing.
I generally agreed with Hansen's critique of American imperialism, and I found the book thought-provoking. But I also found her framing and her tone off-putting, because of how self-centered it is and above all of how utterly humorless. Here is an excerpt:Rolls Royce and 2 Mini Glasses Warsteiner Promo Wiking 1 87 ÅCAT CATERPILLAR MD6250 redARY BLASTHOLE DRILL 1 50 MODEL DIECAST MASTERS 85581
Hansen argues that her lack of awareness about America’s role in the world was structural, intentional—an ignorance that many Americans, particularly white Americans, wear like mental armor, allowing them to believe, against all evidence, that our political and military interventions abroad are always necessary, successful and well-intentioned. “I would never have admitted it, or thought to say it,”MATCHBOX 1937 GMC VAN THE AUSTRALIAN 1 431 43 Minichamps Lamborghini 350 GT 1964 red Hansen explains, “but looking back, I know that deep in my consciousness I thought that America was at the end of some evolutionary spectrum of civilization, and everyone else was trying to catch up.” Hence, she assumed that in Istanbul, she would assess how well Turkey was meeting certain U.S. standards (“democratization,” “modernization”); she would also think about “solutions” to Islam, because “that’s what Americans always do.”
Hansen occasionally mentions The Fire Next Time (1963), in which Baldwin describes the willful, Tek Hoby Résine 1 43 - Peugeot 402 1936 blueeBoxed Dinky Toys 260 Royal Mail Van Red ERII Traditional Vanviolent blindness of white Americans, and their determination not to face “reality—the fact that life is tragic.” Baldwin himself left America for France and Turkey because he found life there false and unbearable, a physical and psychological assault. At least African Americans, he wrote, possess “the great advantage of having never believed the collection of myths to which white Americans cling: that their ancestors were all freedom-loving heroes, that they were born in the greatest country the world has ever seen, or that Americans are invincible in battle and wise in peace.” Hansen read this passage long before moving to Turkey,NEU Scheinwerfer für Ford MUSTANG 98-04 Angel Eyes black SV LPFO33ER XINO CHNew King & Country Waffen WS131 Sd. Kfz. 251 22 Pakwagen Ausf. D Summer Version but one of her points is how often we can know something but not really accept it. She writes: “Even when I disagreed with America’s policies, I always believed in our inherent goodness, in my own.”
From Istanbul, Hansen traveled to report from Greece, Egypt and Afghanistan, only to discover from wry, patient locals that the crisis each country is currently undergoing can be explained by a history in which U.S. intervention figures prominently. In Afghanistan, Nissan Jikoo, 1 43, NorevRoad Legends Collection 1 18 Die Cast Green 1966 Volkswagen Karmann Ghiashe attends a Fourth of July party at the American embassy. There is a billboard outside the embassy that reads: “the u.s. embassy would be grateful if any of our friends who have information on terrorist activity or threats to please come to this gate.” There is a five-by-seven-foot American flag made out of cupcakes. The red, white and blue balloons keep popping from the heat, setting the crowd of Afghans and Americans, fearful of snipers, on edge. General David Petraeus and the U.S. BEST BT9490 LOLA T70 COUPE N.10 WINNER NORISRING 1967 F.GARDNER 1 43 DIE CASTRacing Champions 00526T 1 24 Texaco Havoline Dale Jarrett Bankambassador dodge difficult questions from Afghan guests and deliver platitudes.
This is all very well observed. A different sort of writer would have made something barbed and darkly funny of this scene. Hansen seems headed in that direction, but instead she stops, on cue, to wring her hands: “Those bland, company-man words. In Kabul these words sounded criminal. These were loveless, soulless words. How could we speak to Afghans like this? … No one believed in the words they were saying, ALFA ROMEO GIULIA SUPER 1.6 1972 LOOKSMART 1 43 ÉTAT NEUF EN BOITEMINICHAMPS Talbot Lago T 150-C-SS Coupe 107117121and yet this language was about real things: flesh and death and war, people’s homelands, and their children.”
It strikes me as a luxury and nearly an affront to be as sentimental and naïve as this. It’s not that we shouldn’t sympathize with Afghans and others—it’s that such an expression of sympathy, in which one’s own guilt and shock takes center stage, isn’t worth much. Meanwhile, many of the people I’ve met out in the world who are really up against it—who by circumstance or choice live terribly exposed—wear the risks they run matter-of-factly,Rare Die Mold Resin Citroen Cx Ambulance Car 1 43 Heco Models UNew Minichamps 1 43 Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB12 D.Ricciardo Russian GP 2016 the bearers of what Baldwin calls an “ironic tenacity.” They are knowing, daring, uncomplaining. I guarantee you they waste no time being shocked by the platitudes of U.S. ambassadors.
Hansen notes that when Albert Camus visited New York in 1946, he wrote in his journal that America was a “country where everything is done to prove that life isn’t tragic.” Camus held that “one must reject the tragic after having looked at it, not before.”HOT WHEELS 1 18 AUTO DIE CAST FERRARI 250 TESTA ROSSA FUORI PRODUZIONE 23913Dinky 169 Studebaker golden Hawk. Tan & Red. Very Near-MINT Boxed. 1960's Hansen does the looking but not the rejecting. She remains transfixed by the tragic and her own response to it, casting pretty standard culture shock as emotional catastrophe. Her Turkish lessons are “soul-shattering.” In Cairo, she is “lonely and clumsy, wreaking havoc on things I knew nothing about.” In Afghanistan, “it was my mere existence, I felt, that did damage enough. I wanted nothing else but to withdraw myself.”
When I read this, a phrase of another writer immediately came to mind. “I hate tragedy,” wrote Waguih Ghali, a penniless alcoholic and suicidal Egyptian who, in self-imposed exile after Gamal Abdel Nasser came to power in 1956, wrote one of my favorite novels.Vintage Tonka Bell Telephone Emergency Repair Toy Set In The Original BoxTin soldier, Median Archer of the Persian Army, ANCIENT WARRIORS 54 mm Beer in the Snooker Club contains passages that still make me laugh out loud. Egypt, the Arab country I lived in for many years, has one of the best and darkest strains of humor I’ve ever encountered. It does not come natural to me but I have often witnessed its gift, the way it can lift the pall of fear and death. It’s the laughter of survivors, balanced right on the edge of hope and hopelessness.
And check out the rest of The Point, there are many great pieces of writing there.
- AIRSTORE Phoenix 1 400 Diecast Global SuperTanker Services B747-400F N774ST
- Porsche 917 Predotype Flat 16 1971 - 1 18 - TrueScale Miniatures
- COLLECTION OF 15 VINTAGE MINIATURE PEWTER SOLDIERS - NAPOLEONIC WARS
- 1 43 VOITURETTE V6 ALFA ROMEO P3 BY SMTS
- Johnny Lightning 1964 Coca-Cola Chevrolet Impala 1 18 Diecast Car
- BY800-0,5Märklin H0 00 AC 13600 WB Weichenpaar M-Gleis Vorkrieg 3600 800, OVP
- (Pink) - LeapFrog LeapReader Reading and Writing System - Pink. Free Shipping
- Warhammer Ogre Officier a Peint
- Ixo RAM005 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO Portugal 2001 Mäkinen Mannisenmäki 1 43 MIB
- Superior B-106 British Battleship Queen Elizabeth 1 1200 Scale Model Ship
- NUOVO Fanali Posteriori per AUDI TT 8N 1999-2006 red Fumè LED SV LDAU49EI XIN
- Corgi Toys 302 MGA red, shaped wheels
- RENAULT MEGANE RS 2017 SIRIUS YELLOW NOREV 1 18
- Brekina Linienbus Mercedes Benz O 307 Bahnbus Bundesbahn Barre Bräu 1 87
- ACME 1 18 1932 Ford 5 Window Southern Speed & Marine
- Bigjigs Toys Learn to Count Puzzle. Delivery is Free
- 37043 1 72 Model EASY MODEL Mi-8T Ukraine No.53 Armed Helicopter Aircraft Kit
- Voiture Corail VTU B10 tu ép IV SNCF-HO 1 87-LSMODELS 40178
- ModelsWorld MW40397 3x SNCF 3. Kl PersonenWag OCEM C10myfi green black Ep2b OVP
- 39-460A Bachmann OO Gauge LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 3rd BR TMC Weathered
- H0 E-Lok BR 110.3 DB AG mit Latz Ep.V Piko 51808 Neu
- HO SCALE BACHMANN LOCO ITEM ALCO FA2 DIESEL L & N NEW DCC EQUIPPED
- Vintage TYCO 1979 HO CLEMENTINE gold MINING COMPANY Locomotive and Car Set
- Porsche 911 Gt1 16 Nikko Limited 1 18
- Matchbox MODELS OF YESTERYEAR Y4-2.13 1905 SHAND MASON HORSE DRAWN FIRE ENGINE
- Burago -1 18- Porsche 356b Coupé - 1961 red Nuevo - Nuevo - 1 18
- Spark Bmw Csl N95 1St Gr2 Lm 1976
- Vintage 1971 Britains Deetail Mixed Lot -Made In England 41 Figures
- Shelby Collectibles 2011 Shelby GT350 1 18 Red New
- VW Auwärter T1 Carlux Red White 1963 (Matrix 1 43 MX42105-021)
- TEKNO HOLLAND 950 MERCEDES O302 SWISS PTT - YELLOW 1 50 - VERY GOOD IN BOX
- COREL Milano American Market Schooner Flying Fish 1860 1 50 Scale Model Kit
- MEBETOYS Abarth 3000 SP 1 43
- Dinky Mercedes-Benz 250 SE Original Box
- DUTCH RAILWAYS WOODEN TRAIN SET AMSTERDAM REMBRANDT NEDERLANDSE SPOORWEGEN NS
- Alfa Romeo Scighera 1997 Racing Red Alfa Limited Edition 75 pcs 1 18 Model
I just received a copy of 1966 Lesney Matchbox Car Case No. 41 with 8 Lesney Matchbox Cars, Yoav Di-Capua's new book on Sartre and Arab intellectuals (it is essentially an intellectual history of the post-colonial Arab world) and its cover is very, very cool. I very much enjoyed Di-Capua's last book, Corgi Classics No 11501 AEC Mk V Mammouth S Cook and Lazy Trout cafe New, a great historiography and was happy to meet him in Austin (where he teaches at the University of Texas) on the sidelines of South By Southwest a few years ago. It'll be some more rigorous reading than I'm doing now (I've been devouring Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem sci-fi series, see great reviews here and NZG 1 87 SCALE FUCHS F301 MOBILE EXCAVATOR - blueE) but looking forward to it.
Also recently received are two books on Morocco (and Jordan) – it's relatively rare that you get serious and in-depth English-language scholarship on Morocco, so good to see that – and a collected volume edited by Alfred Stepan including many A-listers and friends (Rached Ghannouchi, 1 18 AUTOWORLD ERTL 1937 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe Pepsi ColaRusty Wallace Miller Lite 2005 1 24 NASCAR Action COLOR CHROME ELITECarrie Wickham, Nathan Brown, Monica Marks, Radwan Masmoudi, etc.) that looks at the Egypt vs. Tunisia question post-Arab Spring. With chapter titles like "The roots of Egypt's constitutional catastrophe", it's pure Arabist geek-bait.